January 12, 2008
In this tutorial I’ll explain you how to install Vmware Server on Hetzner.de Rootserver with Debian Etch OS installed.
I’ve searched over the net many setup articles about vmware and Debian Etch, but unfortunately I haven’t found any good tutorial for me. I’m sure that your question is: “Why you haven’t found any good tutorial? Entire internet talks about Vmware products installation!” If you are in this page you are an unfortunately user as me. You have to know that Hetzner have a limitation in his IP addresses. In fact, to block IP Spoofing, Hetzner don’t allow IP address sharing and Bridged configuration don’t works with Vmware. There are limitations also when you try to install Xen and others virtualization solutions with bridged network configuration except for OpenVZ. At the moment I’ve seen that OpenVZ have many bugs and there isn’t an updated frontend to manage simply the virtual servers configured. VMware Server is free and give you a Console to manage remotely VPS from Linux or Windows system. I’ve personally tested VMware Server 1.04 on RootServer DS7000 with AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and 6gb of RAM. It runs fine, but I think that if you want a very performant system, virtualization not is very well.
December 3, 2007
This tutorial explain how install VMware Player on Ubuntu Gutsy. There are two ways to install VMware Player, but the easiest way produce many errors. I hope that you want install VMware Player with the best procedure. In fact many tutorial on the net suggest you to download RPM package from VMware Website and convert it in a deb package with alien. This way not is a good way because you could have these errors:
November 30, 2007
How to join on Linux Contest?
1. You must have a blog or website with at least 6 months of life and 20 posts.
2. You must review Smoking Linux and Linux Contest with an article in your blog or website.
3. Review must be at least 200 words long and linked on www.smokinglinux.com and contest post.
4. Review can be positive, negative and neutral but its content will must be genuine and unique.
5. Blog or WebSite with warez content aren’t allowed.
6. You must join on smokinglinux forum and post your site’s details.
7. You must wirte an Article or HowTo based on Linux and post it on smokinglinux forum (content must be in english)
8. You can make review in every language (Dutch, English, Italian, French, Spanish…)
November 27, 2007
Microsoft DirectX is a collection of libraries for game programming. With Runtime installed on your Windows Desktop you can run the most important commercial games. On linux you can’t have DirectX installed natively as part of system and there isn’t a Linux Binary versione of it. So, you can’t run windows games on Linux. To have DirectX games on your Linux you can try Wine. Wine (wine is not emulator) is a wrapper of windows libraries, so you can use windows software on your Linux Desktop. Many of windows software don’t run on Linux with Wine, but you can try particular configuration of Wine to see if you can run your favorite windows game or software. To install a Windows Game on Linux you have to install and configure DirectX on wine. This tutorial explain how to install DirectX.